Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Love the Bassoon. Deal with It.

I love my apartment.
We have a high school football field just down the street.
We can hear the crowd cheering and the marching band playing. I LOVE it!
It brings back some memories of the City High Little Hawk marching band.
PIT QUEENS!
Something some of you may not know about me...is that I used to play the bassoon. I played the bassoon for 6 years. I started out playing the clarinet...but in 7th grade my band instructor suggested that I play the bassoon because I had big hands.
That is NOT something you want someone telling you in 7th grade. Plus it's not the coolest instrument in the world...in 7th grade. It's large and awkward.
But I did it.
Anyway...along comes high school and marching band.
They don't march the double reed instruments. So I had to decide if I wanted to play the clarinet or be in the pit.
Since I hadn't played the clarinet in awhile and really couldn't play it to begin with...I decided to do the pit. Being in the pit meant...slacking off and no marching. Excellent!
So I got to play the marimba and the suspended cymbal. I think I even played the gong at one point.
I really like the bassoon, and actually miss it a lot. A few years ago, my friend Laura Hirschey was in a girls group that I lead and after awhile found out that she was a bassoon major! WHAT?! Awesome. She even had two bassoons and one night she brought them when we were all hanging out and we did a duet. It was awesome...and I still remembered how to play. It was probably the coolest party ever. Here is a picture to prove it.This is such a random post. Sorry.
To be even more random...I'm posting a video I found of a bassoon quintet doing Super Mario. If you make it that far, my favorite part is when one of the guys starts "beatboxing". wow. what?!

It's random. Deal with it.
You know you love the bassoon.

6 comments:

laura b. said...

I miss playing the instruments I used to play in HS. I realized that I can no longer honestly tell people that I play the clarinet and cello because I don't really know if I can. I'm planning on picking my cello up again once we move back into our house. I'm glad you got to try the bassoon again.

Leah said...

yesssss, love it. but wouldn't have pinned you as the high school band type... did you also do choir?

Connie said...

DID SHE DO CHOIR?????!!!! Yes. and madrigal and show choir and you name it. Emmy, this "random" post blows me away, because last night I was thinking as I was trying to get to sleep about all the instruments you've played and vocal groups you've done. I thought a lot about the bassoon and all the double reeds we bought. ($$$$$) Then this morning here comes this "random" post and it kind of creeps me out in a good way! I am so glad you got to play again! oh, man, I love you!!!mom

Laura said...

You are such a nerd.

elly said...

i listened to NPR interview Rainn Wilson (aka Dwight Schrute). he played bassoon as well. his advice to young bassoonists was to "throw it out the window as soon as possible because bassoons are pretty much a chick repellent." he advised taking up the electric guitar instead.

Keri Speidel said...

Hooray for a fellow band nerd! May band geekdom live on and on and on, no matter how old we get :)