Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Spinach and Cheese Torta, and LESLIE!

Hilary and I have decided that we are each going to pick a day to cook. So we have two nights at least out of the week that we come up with a dinner plan.
So tonight was my night.
Some of you may know that I am not a cooker. I like to microwave things and eat from boxed things or go somewhere to eat. This is all changing folks.
I have realized that someday, Lord willing, I will marry a guy that likes food. I want to be able to cook for him, so I'm practicing now.

Tonight I made Spinach and Cheese Torta.
It was actually really good! I am trying to eat healthier and so this was a weight watchers recipe. 4 points a serving.
If you would like me to post the recipe let me know.
I wasn't quite sure what to have with it, so I decided on some corn! Just your good 'ole standard corn in a can. I had to call my mom to ask her if I was supposed to drain it or not. Again...I don't cook! Some of you are probably laughing right now. I'm learning though!
I made a turkey wrap thing the other day and the recipe called for Arugula. I had no clue what Arugula was. I'm thankful for Whole Foods! It's my new favorite place! I had to also get an ingredient that Hilary is using in her dish tomorrow night, Miso. I had no clue what Miso was. The lady that I asked at whole foods giggled when I asked her if she knew what it was! It was in the Asian food aisle and it's a type of soup, but you can get it dry to put in as seasoning.

As I was going to Whole Foods I ran into someone who is very well known in Austin. Leslie.

"He" is the token homeless guy of Austin. He likes to dress in women's clothing and walk around town.
So as I'm driving to Whole Foods I see Leslie walking down the side walk trying to hitch a ride. So I quickly lock my doors, while contemplating on whether or not to get my camera out. He was wearing a leopard print mini skirt...I'm talking MINI skirt! With heels of course. And an off the shoulder fur leopard shirt that was showing his belly. This is the second Leslie sighting for me. Some people live in Austin their whole lives and never actually see Leslie, they just hear about him. I feel honored that I have seen him twice now! Although I didn't end up taking a picture, I found one online that I thought was nice! Laura, this is probably how he would have responded if I were to take a picture! I was a little nervous searching online for a picture, afraid of what I would come across! He did run for Mayer one year! I heard that he got 2nd place! YIKES!! I love Austin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What an interesting life you lead. Leslie is probably a really nice guy. Reminds me of "Smiley." (Course he wears lots of buttons, not women's clothes.) I know arugula is some kind of lettuce, but I've never heard of miso. As for the canned corn, it reminds me of the time as kids we were home alone and I made you and Laura eat chicken noodle soup, warmed up, but with no water added, because I didn't know you had to add a can of water. We couldn't figure out why it was so salty, and I kept getting mad because you guys kept saying it didn't taste right and kept trying to force you to eat it. Of course I was like maybe 8 years old, 10 at the most!

Shadley said...

oh em! i love your cooking stories. i loved the part where you said, "I am not a cooker." that says it all. it reminds me of when we worked together and you tried to make muffins one morning...

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the fact that you blogged about Leslie. This makes you an offical Austinite! Congrats.