Sunday, October 29, 2006

So It Turns Out...

So it turns out that Hilary and I do have a life!
For the first time since we have been in this city (almost 3 months) we finally "went out". Friday night we met up with a friend of Hilary's from when she was in Mexico. (He is now
living in Austin) We were going to meet him at the Shoal Creek Saloon to listen to a band. ( I have been dying to see live music, since Austin is the "Live Music Capital of the World") So we were very excited to actually go out and do something on a Friday night! AND...it was just a couple of blocks down the road from our apartment! Here are some views as we walked to the bar:
I LOVE our apartment!! So we got to the Saloon, and noticed that there wasn't a band listed for Friday night and there were only about 4 BIG trucks in the parking lot! So we decided to NOT go in and wait for John, as we thought about who would be driving those BIG trucks. We met at Austin Java instead. By the way, Austin Java...my favorite Austin coffeehouse/bar, is only 3 blocks down from our apartment!! LOVE it!!
We decided that we were going to go downtown instead and find a good place to listen to live music. We walked back up to our apartment and got Hilary's car and made our way downtown. It was so fun to see so many people out and to drive down 6th street and hear
live music all over the place! We ended up on 4th street at a bar called Cedar Street.

They
had a band playing called "Mingo Fishtrap"
They were awesome! It was a jazz band/rock band/big band kind of group. They had horns, saxaphones, trombones, guitars. They were tight. The lead vocalist was really good too. People were dancing and have a great time. It was a lot of fun!





The venue was really cool, it was outdoors between two buildings. It was a beautiful night, and they also had little heat lamps that were above the tables so that you didn't get too cold. The sad thing about the evening was seeing so many people indulge in drinking. It was sad to see the amount of people trying to satisfy their thirst with the things of this world. It gave me a lot to pray for that night.


Tonight, Saturday, the couple that lives above us came down and hung out for a little while. They wanted to try our Poppyseed Chicken (see Meal update post). Matt is a huge fan and wanted to see how it tasted without all of the fat in it! (again, see Meal Update post) So that was fun hanging out with them for a little bit. Then Hilary and I went to Progress Coffee to listen to "Rufus McGovern" aka Andy Melvin (worship leader at the Stone). He was the opening act for Amanda Leggett. It was REALLY good! Amanda is a singer/songwriter and does a lot of stuff around Austin. She has a great voice and sweet lyrics. Andy produced Amanda's CD and recorded it in his basement. Tonight after the concert I couldn't help but feel a weight on my heart to sing. I haven't been singing that much since I got to Austin. Just a little here and there...in the car, and every once in awhile I will pull out my guitar and play the 3 or 4 songs I know how to sing and play. This evening put a stir in my heart to break out my guitar and start getting better at playing. It put a desire in my heart to write more songs. It made me appreciate music so much more and appreciate muscians, especially songwriters. Music is amazing and it does something in me that I can't explain.
I think I am starting to like Austin even more now that I have experienced just a taste of this music town.

No comments: