Monday, October 30, 2006

My Truck is Officially A Texan.

So I am on my way to officially becoming a Texan. My truck is already there. I have registered it in the state of Texas and have a "TEXAS TRUCK" license plate. **by the way...this isn't my actual license plate. I found it online**
Only in Texas would trucks have their own special license plate. It wouldn't really seem right to have a license plate that says, "Oregon Truck" or "California Truck". But "TEXAS TRUCK" just sounds GREAT! I'm thankful for my truck! Here is the amazing story behind my truck...Back it up about 4 years ago (I think). I purchased my first car. A red Saturn. Sporty looking thing...His name was Rodney...Rod...Hot Rod. I had the car for 2 years...I think. Then it completely died on me. In a HUGE way. Leaving me with a car loan that was beyond what the car was worth and repairs that were beyond what the car was worth. I felt really stuck. I couldn't afford to be making two car payments, one payment on a car that I didn't even have. AND I couldn't afford to buy a cheap used car. I had no clue what I was going to do. So...I decided to PRAY! I had nothing left to do. I LOVE how God works. He brought me to my knees and I was humbled asking Him to provide and to be amazing so that He would get the glory. And...He did! There was a guy that was selling his car for $1,000. It turned out that with the money that I was getting back from my tax return and the money that was set aside for me when my dad died equaled to $1,000! Hmmm, interesting huh?! THEN...the girls that I was leading in a bible study organized a pool of money from my friends and family to give to me. They gave me a check for $1500. I still don't know who all was involved with that. The card was signed...from the people that love you. So I was able to put that money towards my car loan. It took a chunk off of the loan, but I still had a big chunk left over. So I had a Red Hyundai that was a blessing from the Lord. It lasted a year! Then it died! In a major way! Again, the cost to repair it was far more than the car's worth. Again, it brought me to my knees. "Lord, here I am again! You have provided for me in the past You will do it again!" So this is about two years ago...
I have been blessed over and over again by an amazing family who showed me grace and showed me love. Who have taught me what it means to live holding onto this life and it's things loosely. Mark and Sharon walked through some really tough times in my life and gave great counsel and loved me like one of their own kids. They saw my need and they offered to let me borrow their truck for a little while until I could get something figured out. They didn't want me to rush into anything quickly, they wanted to give me some time to pray about what to do, take a good look at my finances and see what would be the wise thing to do. It turned into letting me use the truck until I could get my loan paid off. Then it turned into letting me use the truck so that I could save up for my move to Austin. All the while, feeling bad for the inconvenience I felt like I was putting on them and wanting so badly to repay them somehow. They just kept reminding me of grace. What a beautiful picture of grace. So when it got closer to moving time I knew that I needed to figure something out. They decided that they wanted to GIVE me the truck. GIVE it to me! Mark said, we'll give you the "kids" discount!
I felt so undeserved of such a gift. It is amazing to be blessed in that way. It is just not normal for someone to just give away a vehicle in the worlds eyes. These people are not of the world. They know that their home is eternal...there will be no need for a truck in heaven. They saw a need and were quick to give. They had and they provided. God provided through them. AMAZING!
So...there is the story of the truck. And now it's a Texan! I LOVE the truck. It has been amazing being able to use it for HIS glory too! People need trucks to move things, to carry big loads...I love being able to serve people because it's a blessing to me, I want to bless people with it! It's not mine...it's the Lord's! The Lord loves a Texan TRUCK!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh the good ol truck!! PURIFICATION!!! Ahh ya...baby got sauced!! EM I MISS YOU DEARLY!! AND CANT WAIT TILL YOU COME BACK TO IOWA!! yay do a lil' dance!
..lil'sis
amy

Anonymous said...

Emmy....I just love those God stories, He is so amazing! The Lobbs are such a wonderful example to me of how I want to hold things loosely and minister to others. I love it. Love you! the tree

Kelli B said...

love it! i heard that story when we ate at El Rodeo...but it's fun to read and re-read again!

God provides in mysterious ways...

Anonymous said...

Nice truck, I have always wanted a truck like that ;)

davenportdiocese said...

YOU blessed our lives so much Em! We love you!

Shadley said...

yee haw!

emily said...

AMY!! Miss you sister!
The Tree- Love you too!
Kelli- I love thinking about our time at El Rodeo! It was so crazy that that was the first time we "officially met"! Fun!
Nixter-Trucks are fun! LOTS of fun!
Sharon- I think of you OFTEN! I miss talking with you, we need to set up a phone date or something. I MISS you!
SEG-Giddy up!