Friday, October 20, 2006

The Race for the Cure®


October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. This month has brought lots of memories of a dear sister of mine that went to be with the Lord after battling breast cancer for about a year. Her name is Dian Grimes-Hughes. She amazes me still. I got to know her through my friends Dan and Shadley. Dian is Dan's mom. She was such a great band mom! She had spunk and she was always smiling and it seemed like everytime I saw her she was wearing some sort of animal print! When she was diagnosed with breast cancer we started emailing quite a bit back and forth and I had the intentions of encouraging her through this time, but it seemed that I was the one getting the encouragement in her responses to me. I loved our friendship and miss her precious emails of telling me to "Keep pressing on".

She was so passionate about Jesus and about living for Him even in her last days. She recorded messages to her grandkids that talked about how amazing it is to live for Jesus and to love Him and be loved by Him. She continued to live full out for Him and would not let the cancer stop her. God had great plans for Dian and that included being full of cancer so that she could be used by God in her weakness, so that the strength that everyone could see in her was from God and not from herself.
She has touched MANY lives.

I have also been touched by a young woman, Melody age 33, who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She goes to our church and Hilary met her a couple of weeks ago. She has an amazing heart and loves Jesus and is standing firm on His promises of His complete love for her. It's amazing to hear her story, she wrote a moving article, check it out here


I have decided to join in The Race for the Cure® on November 5th to support Melody in this fight and to represent Dian's life. I am also raising money for the further research and eventual cure for breast cancer. If you would like to join with me in supporting this team or if you would like to donate, check it out here

No comments: