Thursday, October 09, 2008

O Holy Night

We sang O Holy Night at church last Sunday...and again at the prayer meeting on Tuesday night.
Seriously. I love my church. Who sings Christmas songs in October? WE DO! YES!! I love singing Christmas songs all year round. I've been called weird because of it.
I'm ok with that.
Check out the lyrics though. Seriously....SO powerful. Have you ever thought about what you are singing? Check it...

Oh holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Til He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious mourn

Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angels' voices!
Oh night divine, Oh night when Christ was born;
Oh night divine, Oh night, oh night divine.

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name

Christ is the Lord! O praise His name forever
His power and glory evermore proclaim
His power and glory evermore proclaim


LOVE IT!!!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I totally agree with you! LOVE the words to this wonderful song.

We were married on Christmas night and this is the song we had playing when I walked down the aisle, just instrumental, actually harp and chimes very beautiful.

Then, when JoAnna got married after I was seated and before her dad walked her down the aisle, the strings who played for their wedding played this song, for her Dad and I. So sweet & such joy filled tears.

I love the songs that declare our Savior's birth ANYTIME!!

Connie said...

I also love the words to that song. I think our church would be a lot different if people listened to ANY of the songs words and took them to heart, instead of just "reading" them off and at the same time looking around at who's there and who's doing what. Can you tell I am tired of complacency, mediocre, the status quo? I'm being stirred up!

Andrea said...

Aside from "Lead Me to the Cross", "Oh Holy Night" is my other all time favorite song. I love it and will proudly listen to it any time of the year! (You should see how many different versions I have on my iPod!)

So glad to see you back...I was beginning to have Emily-withdrawals! :)