Sunday, December 03, 2006

Amena Brown

I wanted to share this with y'all. If you have never heard of Amena Brown, she is a writer, poet and a spoken word artist. She has written some amazing pieces. I was just watching my Matt Redman Facedown DVD and she does a piece called "In Your Pure Light".
Here are the words...

A cry.
A cry lies within us in the depth of a place which we cannot touch.
Waiting to escape the enclosed gates of our expression.
Something is happening inside of us, beyond what we can articulate.
So we respond.
We respond to YOU.
We respond to YOU Jesus.
In YOUR pure light I have come out of the shadows of darkness.
YOU alone are the one that can satisfy.
Seeping into every vacant space inside of me.
Reality...in YOU...in me in YOU.
I try to imagine forever.
And at a certain point my brain stops. But that's YOU.
Forever being, forever existing, forever knowing...YOU.
Before there was anyone...anything...YOU and after everything there was...is no more...YOU.
My thoughts can't even fully comprehend YOU.
So whatever praise my thoughts begin...my spirit has to complete.
And every time I take a breath I discover YOU.
That the same breath that I am breathing originated inside of YOU.
So I breathe YOU in because YOU take me in.
Jesus, in YOUR pure light I have come out of the shadows of darkness.
YOU alone satisfy.
Seeping into every vacant space inside of me.
Try to imagine forever.
That's YOU.
Forever being, forever existing, forever knowing...YOU.
Before there was anyone...anything...YOU.
And after everything that was...is no more...YOU.
And every time I take in a breath...every time I take in a breath...I discover YOU.
I breathe YOU in , because YOU take me in.
We breathe YOU in, because YOU take us in.
To be still...and to breathe...that YOU...are God.

Her words are so powerful and they speak truth that resonates deeply.

I also read a clip that she wrote on her 26th birthday, where she wrote 26 things she had learned in her 26 years of life. I will share a few that I really liked...
--Take the time to be alone and take the time to be quiet
--Listen and ask good questions.
--Discover something that inspires you and don't go too long without experiencing it.
--Routine is the enemy of creativity and innovation.
--Keep a theme song for every season of life.
--Let God be God. Don't let anyone or anything take that place.
--No matter how many iPods, CD's and downloads there are...there is nothing like experiencing good live music.
--It takes selflessness and time to really love.
--Being overcomitted weighs you down.
--Intelligence is sexy.
--I don't belong in a cubicle.
--It's important to find your own sense of style and work it!
--Becoming comfortable with myself is a lifelong journey.
--Put yourself in situations where you will be stretched and pushed beyond your comfort zone.
--Great friends come in all packages...even better when their perspective is different from yours.

Just thought I would share that with you. Hope it was encouraging!

No comments: