Thursday, November 02, 2006

GECKO TIME!

We had a visitor last night. Some may say a friendly visitor. I do believe people when they say they are friendly and they won't hurt you. But really...look at it. CREEPY! Click on the picture and look at it closely. It seriously gives me the heeby jeebies. It all started when I was in my room and I heard Hilary screaming from the bathroom, "What do I do?!? What do I do?!?! What do I do?!?!"
I knew it couldn't be good. We have had discussions about what we would do if we were faced to deal with one on our own. We never came up with a solution. You can't really step on it, it would be too squishy. EWWW!!!! I really don't know what I would do if I was by myself.


Hilary is the brave one...

Just before I took this picture I was on the sink.
It was crawling around the bathroom floor and before Hilary jumped on the toilet it almost crawled up her pants...no joke. There was a brief second that Hilary actually thought it had crawled up her pants and she did a funny dance that almost made me pee my pants.
There were lots of screaming, squealing, screeching...and of course laughing. We finally pulled it together to grab a cup and she got enough courage to capture it, unfortunately as she put the cup down on it she cut it's tail off !



You can see it to the left of the cup...the tail kept moving and going back and forth wildly. It was SO GROSS!
Okay... so this guy was not very big. Very little in fact. But it was still creepy and it was still in our apartment. And we still had to get it out...okay...Hilary had to get it out! I'm so glad she is my roommate and she is brave!





Because if this were me, I would be FREAKING out because the little guy is right by my hand, even though he's on the other side of the cup. There is no way that I could do it!
Way to go Hilary!! She took it outside and let it go out in the courtyard...a ways down from our apartment!
Good thing I really like it here in Austin!
I don't ever remember reading about geckos on the "Things to know when moving to Texas" list. Cockroaches...yes...but not geckos. Fortunately I have not come across many cockroaches...BIG ones. Just geckos.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boys say they would each like their own gecko for christmas.

Kelli B said...

okay. i'm officially UNABLE to stop laughing.

that was hilarious! i felt like i was there with you in the moment. oh man, oh man. i dont know what i'd do! Hilary is so brave!!!

that is nasty about his tail too...yipes! i cant believe it kept moving. that is really, really funny...

Unknown said...

c'mon, em! lizards are the coolest.
i'm glad you survived, though. :D

Shadley said...

hey i think that geckos release their tail as a defense mechanism...i am not sure but i think they can regenerate them so no worries!

also there is a children's book called How the Gecko Lost Its Tail, you might want to check it out!

Anonymous said...

Here's a little story from my last visit to Texas....as children we were out in front of our friend's house when we came across a scorpion and a poisonous snake. The dad grabbed a hand gun he kept handy and shot the snake right in front of us.

NOW THAT'S TEXAS, BABY!

emily said...

Laura-
I'm on it!
Kelli-I'm glad that you laughed...Hilary read this post for the first time tonight and we both were laughing sooo hard!
Jenna-Really? If coolest means yuckiest!
SEG- thanks for that...that makes me even more creeped out! what kind of animal does that. weird! sha pow is right!
Carrie-Hilarious!!!!! Only in Texas!

Anonymous said...

I love gecko = cool. BUT when I was in Thailand I went to the bathroom and grabbed the toilet roll, I pulled it down and there was a lizard on it = NOT COOL!

Anonymous said...

I had to catch a huntsmen spider once and a red-back. Red-backs = poisonous and huntsment = big and hairy but not poisonous.

I missed the bit in your story where the tail got cut off and it was still moving = EWWWW indeed