Monday, June 11, 2007

Dad

June 12, 1997.

10 years ago.

It's been ten years. I can't believe it. Sometimes it feels like just yesterday. Sometimes it feels like so long ago that my mind starts to forget things about him.

I was 16.

I remember my uncle telling him that Jesus was with him and that He was holding him. His face lit up and he smiled. He knew that God was in control and that this was all part of His plan for his life. Somehow.

"Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is Thy faithfulness; Morning by morning new mercies I see; All I have needed Thy hand hath provided; Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me."

I remember hearing from the nurse that he had died and my uncle grabbing me, telling me that he was with Jesus.
That image, I can still remember, came to my mind of that embrace.
Finally getting to see Jesus face to face. Touching His scars.

"And when I think, that God, His son not sparing; sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in; That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing; He bled and died to take away my sin."

Bowing down at His feet and worshiping Him in a way he had never experienced before. Breathing in perfect air, through perfect lungs, in a body that was perfect and whole. Shouting hallelujahs along with the angels.

"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee; How great Thou art, How great Thou art; Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee; How great Thou art, How great Thou art."

It's been ten years, but to him it's like he just arrived. Eternity to sing His praise.

"When we've been there ten thousands years, bright shining as the sun. We've no less days to sing God's praise. Then when we first begun."

I try to picture his crown. God says we get crowns. I bet his is beautiful and is growing in beauty as his story touches more lives, as our family grows and his legacy lives on.

"In mansions of glory in endless delight; I'll ever adore thee in heaven so bright; I'll sing with the glittering crown on my brow; if ever I love thee, my Jesus tis now."

I'm so thankful.

I'm thankful for this story.
That God put this man in my life to be my dad.
That Jesus captured his heart and that he fell deeply in love with Him.
Even thankful that on June 12, 1997, God, in His sovereignty, gave him his last breath.
That he is Home and that I will see Him again. Someday.


"I can sing with my last breath, sing cause I know; that I'll sing with the angels and the saints around the throne!"

11 comments:

Joanna Kay said...

beautiful, emily.
your words, your heart, your life...

Nixter said...

wow what a lovely post beautiful girl - what strength and trust you have in our great God ;) What a great example.

Connie said...

God, can you hear me wailing? If You do, consider it praise, it's all I've got right now.

Anonymous said...

WOW. Powerful beautiful words to affirm all that was true in your dads life. Legacy-that's what it's all about. I can't imagine how it thrills Bill to look down and watch his family grow, each one following his Jesus. I so love that smile!

Shadley said...

i like to think he is dancing with dian.

Meghan said...

Oh Em...I send a BIG hug your way. What a beautiful post to honor the man your dad was. Those pictures are simply lovely of him. What a sweet trust in the Lord you have.

Anonymous said...

I miss him, too...what an amazing picture of who he was, thank you Em...precious words about him.
I miss the twinkle in his eye, and how he always called me Gretta...ok now I'm crying...he did leave a legacy and my heart is rejoicing today (as I am sure his is too) for all of you and who you are!! He was so special...

Kelli B said...

tears girl. that was SO SWEET - what a praise and what a worshipful spirit are these words. God knew these words before you wrote them, and He receives glory and glory for the heart behind them.

i love you sister. thanks for sharing that with all of us! it was one of the most beautiful posts i have ever read.

melody said...

Sometimes during corporate worship times, I'm overwhelmed when I realize, "We're worshiping with them."

"When with the ransomed in glory, His face I at last shall see . . . ."

Kathy said...

What an awesome post this is. I am so blessed reading it and looking at the pictures. I have been praying for you girls and your Mom. Thank you for giving me a glimpse of your Dad.

emily said...

Thank you all for your comments. I love you all and am so glad that God touched you guys through these words and through my dad's life! You all are beautiful!