Friday, April 10, 2009

Gospel Centered Living

I have been blessed over and over by the The Stewart family and how they live out their lives in view of the gospel. It is a beautiful thing and I pray that God would continue to teach me and mold me into a woman who lives out and responds by covering the gospel over my life. I also pray that if the Lord blesses me with a family some day that I would raise them up and train them in godliness and with the gospel. Kimberly does an amazing job of sharing her process with this on her blog. She is real and honest, it is so beautiful. Please check it out!
When I think about having kids someday... as much as I can't wait and am so excited...it freaks me out. I have this thought that I'm going to totally mess them up.
Here is a little excerpt from a recent post where she was talking about how God redeems our failures, and she was sharing a story (a poop story...awesome!) about how she responded to her son, WesleyGrant, and how she had to ask his forgiveness, for not responding in a way that was in line with the gospel:
But the good news about the gospel is that it leads me to my savior who for freedom set me free (galatians 5:1) I am no longer bound to work for my approval...but I am fully approved in Jesus! My idol will always condemn me... it can offer no forgiveness...as I continue to look back over the same thing with the idols of my heart, it seems so crazy that I would ever turn to them...my savior gives not only forgiveness, but grants me righteousness guaranteed to be a right standing with god. I am free!
So, as the Spirit disclosed the things of the Father...I knew I was wrong and needed to make it right with WG. That is what is so hard about being a parent...seeing your failures effect your own children. Stew always tells me,
"Don't worry...you will scar them...but Jesus will redeem all their scars!"
And so with that hope, I went back into WG's room. I told him why I got angry and that the bible instructs me differently and I did not obey God. I told him that it was not his fault that mommy got angry. I told him I was wrong and sorry for my actions. I told him that Jesus is our only hope. He may not fully comprehend...but more we are starting habits...I guess tha is part of the redemption happening in my failures...we are passing on "I was wrong" and leaving behind "silence and lack of confession". So then I can hope in Jesus...that as he is making me more like Him, he will point my son to Himself as well...so know that you will scar your children...but our savior has a great redeeming plan both for our lives and theirs...hope in Jesus, the redeemer of all our failures.
SO good!
Another thing that she had posted at some point was a list of things that they were passing on in their family and things they were leaving behind. Such a great list and reminder of living in a way that is glorifying to Jesus...here is the list...

Passing On-- Family traditions
Leaving Behind -- Individualism

Passing On -- Worldview through the Gospel
Leaving Behind -- Worldview through man-centeredness

Passing On -- I love you
Leaving Behind -- Silence/Assumption

Passing On -- Failures are okay
Leaving Behind -- You control everything

Passing On -- Trust Jesus
Leaving Behind -- Worry

Passing On -- You are just like the poor
Leaving Behind -- There are no poor

Passing On -- I was wrong/Forgiveness
Leaving Behind -- Anger & Bitterness

Passing On -- World outside of America
Leaving Behind -- World is America

Passing On -- Security in Christ
Leaving Behind -- Security in Money

Passing On -- Others are first
Leaving Behind -- Others are second

Passing On -- Acceptance of suffering
Leaving Behind -- Comfort is true life

Passing On -- Courage is trusting YAWEH
Leaving Behind -- Safety is in your hands

Passing On -- We are sinners
Leaving Behind -- We are good

Passing On -- Jesus is the way, truth & life
Leaving Behind -- Your way is truth & life

That is gospel-centered living.
Thanks Kimberly for writing these posts! You are beautiful and such a blessing!!!

1 comment:

Jen Essington said...

Wow. So humbling..thank you so much for posting this! I read the "poop post" she wrote and totally can relate. The part that really tugged at me was this paragraph "But then the Spirit interrupted me. Was that really why I was angry? I got him in the bed without hugs, kisses, or loving words. He was left to lie there feeling gross, unloved and a failure. But in reality, I was feeling that way about myself and I placed that upon him. Another moment where I realized that I was unfit as a parent.....and then Jesus entered back on the scene in my mind."

Wow...