Friday, April 03, 2009

Earthly Comforts Are Loaned

I read this, this morning, on a blog and it wrecked me.
CH Spurgeon does that to me a lot.
Here is what He says:
"Earthly comforts are loaned. They are not gifts, for all that we possess is God's property. He has only lent them, and what he lends He has a right to take. We hold possessions and friends on a lease that can be terminated at the Supreme Owner's option. Therefore, do not complain when God takes His own. In a world where thorns and briars grow, it is natural that some sharp points will pierce you.
The world swarms with thieves, deceivers, and slanderers, with losses in business, crosses in our expectations, false or fickle friends, and with sickness and death. Little wonder our joys are stolen. Our Master warns that our habitation is not theft-proof. "Do not lay up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal." (Matt. 6:19)
Beloved, because of these, calamities may be expected, let us be prepared. Hold all things loosely. Hold them as though you did not have them. Look at them as fleeting; never expect them to remain. Never make mortal things your gods. If you do, your heart will be broken when they are taken, and you will cry with Micah, "You have taken away my gods which I made." (Judges 18:24)

4 comments:

Jen said...

oh. my. can i be real honest and say that as much as i needed to read this this morning, i really didn't want to. :( good stuff though. really good stuff.

on a lighter note, the word i have to type in order to post this comment is "waisto".

THE BROWN BOYS said...

thanks Em, for sharing. I'm with Jen. Didn't want to hear it, but needed to hear it.

my word is 'phoet' - as in "I was a 'phoet' and I didn't even know it." I think from now on, your commenters should be required to used the verification 'word' in a sentence. Yep, I think I'm going to start doing that, just for you em.

Connie said...

I "nuloth" that God giveth and taketh away.

Actually I've been keeping a list of word verifications and was someday going to post about their possible definitions.

Sharon Lobb said...

wow, that is powerful. i found a quote yesterday that reminds me of the same message...
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” -Epicurus.