Thursday, February 15, 2007

My Valentine's Day

I had a great Valentine's Day this year. Sometimes it's a hard day, and can be for many people who are single, but this year was beautiful. I remain single and that's cool with me. I'm waiting on the Lord and He sustains me and I am complete in Him.
I was reminded this V-day of love. I was reminded of friendships, old and new. I was reminded of family and I was reminded of Jesus.
In the morning I woke up and came out into the kitchen to this...
Hilary had gotten me flowers! They are beautiful and they are purple! I love them!
I went to work and during my lunch break I ran some errands which included stopping by Hilary's school to leave a rose on her car! Since I didn't have much time for lunch I had called in an order at Thundercloud Subs and when I picked up my sandwich they asked my my name and I told them and pretty soon this guy started making up a song with my name! It was really fun!

When I got back to work the delivery guy came to the door with a box and said that it was for me! I didn't really think he meant me, since I wasn't expecting anything and I didn't have anyone that would be getting me flowers. But it really was for me! So of course my face got red and everyone was asking me who they were from and I didn't know!
I opened them up and they were from my brother-in-law Joe. He had gotten me flowers last year when I was still in Iowa, and dropped them off on his lunch break. (I think he just feels bad that I didn't have a "special Valentine"!) So anyway, here was the card...

He's funny.
Here are the flowers, BEAUTIFUL!:

Then one of my co-workers during his lunch break went to the Pinata Party Palace and got a heart pinata and filled it with Mexican candy. So at the end of the day we hung it over the balcony in the foyer and took turns hitting it. I was the 4th or 5th person to go and I knocked it open!!! Everyone was bummed after that. It's not like I ruined the party...that's how it works...you hit it and knock it open! It was really funny!!
My boss' kids that I babysit for came to the office and dropped off Godiva chocolates for me. It was very sweet!
Then I got home and got the mail and got a really funny card from my sister Laura that I am not going post because it wouldn't be very appropriate :) and Valentines from the kids...
Can you guess which one is from which kid?! Noah, Lily and Jack.
Noah...this is for you....
His Valentine came with a really cool Cars tattoo. He told me to put it on my hand and take a picture of it and put it on the computer. Thanks Noah!
My mom had told me that she sent me a package but I wasn't able to get it until the day after Valentine's Day because the Post Office had already closed before I was able to go and pick it up. So the next day I picked it up and there were some surprises in there that I am not going to mention because it wouldn't be very appropriate--(if you are a girl and one of my good friends you can ask me about it...it's pretty funny!) :) But I can talk about the cute little heart that she made and the cute little coin purse that she sent me. Here are some pictures.
I love her!
Another highlight of the evening was the chocolate covered strawberries that I got Hilary. They are supposedly the BEST chocolate covered strawberries in Austin. Lammes Chocolate Covered Strawberries.













Sinfully delicious indeed.
Hilary and I had a date with a 10 year old, a 9 year old and 4 year old. George and Denise went out on a date and we watched the kids for them. It was a great way to spend Valentine's Day!
One the way to the Stephens house I passed the famous landscaping place that have flamingos, penguins, and other random things out on the corner, here's what they do for V-day:
Last weekend a friend invited me to go to dinner with a group of her friends that are single and they have a tradition of getting together every year for Valentines day. We went to dinner at PF Changs and then went to a movie afterwards. It was really fun and I will post pictures soon. It was fun meeting some new people, they were really cool!

I felt overwhelmed by God's love that He pours out through His people. It would be so easy to dwell on being single and how "depressing" it is. But it really isn't. Being satisfied in Jesus is much better than being unsatisfied in singleness. I do desire to be in a relationship and to be married and to have a family someday. But that won't satisfy me either and I want it in God's timing and with who HE wants for me. I don't want to settle for anything less.

I hope that you all had a great day too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your Sally tattoo.

Rachel Bardwell said...

My friends used to call Valentines Day: "Singles Awareness Day" instead.

This may not be any consolation, but this holiday has actually gotten LESS romantic since I've been married - at least when we were dating, we still tried to 'woo' each other :)

Anonymous said...

Emily, you are so loved!!!-mom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had a great Valentine's Day. You have a very special family. Pretty flowers!