Saturday, July 22, 2006

Joy

These days I have felt weak and have been wondering where the strength is that I've been praying for, and that my people are praying for. I was sitting at work this last week and it's great because I get to listen to the radio by my desk. What is even better is that I have it turned to the Christian radio station (as cheesy as it is sometimes, it is better than nothing!). God is good in that my friend Emily, who I work with, and I have been able to keep it on the christian radio station and be encouraged by it throughout the day and also pray that others would hear too. Anyway, Chris Tomlin's song came on Holy Is the Lord. It's one that has become so familiar to me that I hardly ever really listen to the words. I have sung it over and over again and has gotten to be one of those "ordinary" worship songs. So anyway, I started listening to it and God hit me with this line "For the joy of the Lord is our strength" Nehemiah 8:10 says, "Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."
That is what I prayed for, for strength. But what I had forgotten was that simple truth. The joy of the Lord.
To have joy in the Lord is to be in His presence and to be found in Him and when we are in Him that is when we will experience the fullness of His joy which then gives strength.
Am I delighting in God? Am I finding joy in Him to give me strength? Am I fully living in Him?
What does that even look like?
What was just an "ordinary song" turned out to be a monument for me to say 'The joy of the Lord is my strength!"

No comments: