Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bat Cruise

When Hilary's parents were visiting in October, we went on a bat cruise.
For those of you who don't know about this...
There are about 1.5 million bats that live under the Congress Street bridge between the months of March and November. At dusk they all, all 1.5 million of them, come flying out from under the bridge and fly to who knows where looking for food.
Most people stand on the bridge and look down at them.
But we actually took a "cruise". A boat that went under the bridge and are basically right under all of them.
It was interesting.
Here are some pictures...Here was a dead bat they had in a box to show everyone...nice...Here are some sweet pics of the city and the lake...You can sort of see the bats on the left side of the picture, just to the right of the trees and just above the people standing on the bridge...you can see a dark patch in the sky...you have to look hard...I was a little nervous of them coming down and attacking my head so I wore a hat...I was also a little nervous of bat poo. So were Hilary's parents...So was Hilary...I'm pretty sure I got peed on. It was gross.
Here is a video. It may be hard to see..
Again...you have to look closely...

Bats eat lots of bugs...(the video didn't turn out that great, but you can sort of see them in the red light)

5 comments:

Nixter said...

I would have been totally scared that they were coming to get me too. Ewwwww. You are so brave ;)

Connie said...

Tell me that we don't have to go there when I come down!!! pleeeeese! You'd probably get peed on all right, and now by a bat!!!

Connie said...

I meant "not" by a bat!!!

Anonymous said...

that's just downright disgusting....but we gotta do it!! Put it on the list!

Rachel Bardwell said...

You and Hilary look awfully gussied up for a bat cruise.

I guess you can't help your hotness!