Sunday, March 25, 2007

Big Burly Men Who Love Jesus

My friend, Melody, invited Rebecca and I to go to a "Team Impact" show last night. Her friend, Preston, was a road manager for this group and told Melody that they would be coming in the area.
Team Impact is a group of big burly men who do amazing acts of strength such as karate chop piles of concrete bricks in half, rip huge phone books in half, bend iron rods with their head...and a bunch of other cool stuff. They also share their personal testimonies and they also present the gospel message.
So we piled up in Rebecca's car, Melody with her bald head and muscle shirt, and I with
my camera and headed westward.
The further out you get from Austin, the stronger the accent gets!
When we arrived there were plenty of wife-beaters and mullets to hold me over until my next venture out of Austin!

It was cool because Preston had reserved seats for us in the second row and he also gave us free t-shirts AND we also got to meet the team!
As soon as we walked into their room
backstage I felt the testosterone in the room and I felt small. These three guys are HUGE! Melody fits right in with the bald-ness!
Quote from Big Berry: ("Were you able to get my bicep in the picture!?")

We were surrounded by kids in the audience. Everyone was going crazy! The music was loud, the kids were loud, the guys were loud. It was GREAT! I found myself yelling at the top of my lungs, "GO BIG BERRY!"
Here are some pictures:
Judo-chop!
This sort of looks like it hurts...or something...
This is a hot water bag that is supposedly un-breakable...
Not for Big B! He popped it!

They also set things on fire: (and yes we were in a church sanctuary)


Ripping a phone book in half with his bare hands and his big muscles:
Berry put this bat behind his back and broke it in half:
One of the other teammates broke two ribs trying to do this move
Here's a video of some block chopping:

Berry tried for a personal record of breaking 8 concrete blocks with his head:
He didn't make it, he cracked 5 of the blocks though...you can tell in the video that the hit was pretty hard since the impact came back at him instead of following through with the blocks...wow.

Melody was inspired to try some of her own moves:
She's cool!
It was a fun night. I had never experienced anything quite like it! Including the belch from the girl behind us during the message! seriously.
It seemed like a lot of people really took in the message and took on the calling to follow Jesus.
It was cool.
God uses even big burly men to bring people to Him!

5 comments:

melody said...

I forgot about the belch!

emily said...

clarification-wife beaters are those white mens tank tops.

Anonymous said...

My 3 boys are in awe...especially the oldest one. Their arms are like barrels...you look tiny standing next to them.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great night! I will check back 'cause I counldn't see the pics. We had the Power Team here in Charles City and it is soooo cool! That is when Q asked Jesus into his heart--he was 5.

Tokyo BEST said...

Is his name BERRY with an E as in strawbErry?
Or is it Barry the male name? as in bArry. Just wondering cause I was imagining a big bErry breaking stuff (well, cause your pictures didn't work!) just wondering... did he have a Berry theme? Maybe it's his stage name? Oh the possibilities?