Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The German Macarena

So last Saturday I went to visit Jen at work. I love visiting her at work because she works at probably the coolest place ever. The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center.
This would also be the place where I got roped in to being a nun (a white nun) in a "black" Christmas Carol, which we affectionately called "The Cracked Out Christmas Carol". This was pretty much one of the most memorable events of my life.
FYI-The instant nun kits do make an appearance every so often.
Anyway, on Saturday they were celebrating Germany. I don't know. It must have been national Germany day.
They invited some old ladies to come and do some German dancing. So there were these two old ladies, as cute as can be, dressed up in their little German dresses kinda like this...Well, maybe not that intense. Just thought that was an amazing picture.
I was sad that I didn't have my camera with me.
One lady played the accordion and the other lady just danced. Jen had to go down to the stage to get some things figured out and I stayed backstage. The dancing old lady asked Jen if she wanted to dance with her and this was her response:
"Um...no but I have a friend that would....Emily get over here."
Nice. So she leaves me.
Thankfully, no one had shown up for the performance yet.
She taught me a simple dance that was basically the German version of the Macarena. Please picture this in your head...because it was quite funny.
We then start talking and I was asking her all sorts of questions and she was sharing about all of the different places she's traveled and the different types of dances that she has learned over the years. It was quite informative.
Here was the next part of the conversation...

Me: "So when did you start dancing?"
Old Lady: "Well, in college, you know...you have to take college credits."
Me, shaking my head in agreement: "mm hmm"
Old Lady: "I don't like balls..." silence... more silence.
Me: "mm, hmmm" more awkward silence, wondering what was coming next.
Old Lady: "When balls are involved, I get hit."
Me: "Yeah, me too."
Old Lady: "So I took ball-room dancing instead and then folk dancing, and the rest is history. I've been dancing ever since."

She was precious.
Jen and I then got out of there as fast as we could for fear that she would make us (me) dance with her for their performance.
It was great. Anytime I go to the Carver, something crazy happens. I love it. This is Jen's life. I love it.
If anyone needs an instant nun kit or if anyone needs to know how to do the German Macarena, let me know.

4 comments:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

wow. I'm totally picturing Chevy Chase in European vacation. was it anything like that? and the comment about balls...priceless.

Connie said...

Somebody grab your camera - I feel my next dance coming on!!!

Leah said...

How in the world do you make the Macarena German?

Laura said...

National Germany Day??? You're a dork. I'm not sure why balls follow you everywhere you go...