Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Not So Fun Experience...Part 2

Bad news...the rat was in our apartment for 5 days. 5 DAYS. And that really creeps me out.
Good news...he is now dead and officially OUT of our apartment.
Hilary left on Sunday for Atlanta to spend time with her family and for her grandma's funeral :( So I have been by myself in the apartment...thinking about the rat...by myself....did I mention I was by myself?!?!
I had gotten to the point where I was starting to believe that the rat had left the apartment...I had not seen any droppings or crumbs or I had not heard any noises...so I really thought that he left that night he came in.
Then...this morning...I woke up and as I was leaving for work walked into the kitchen to find the rat trap flipped over and with the rat intruder in the trap...dead. NO WAY!
I, of course, started squealing and walking around really fast saying to myself..."I don't know what to do...I don't know what to do!"
I'm by myself...and I am late for work...so I decided since I knew he was dead I would leave him for now. I couldn't handle it.
I called Matt and Erin, knowing that Matt (the fireman) said that we could call him if we needed him...and now more than ever I needed him to get this guy out.
People were giving me all sorts of advice about how I could get him out...but I couldn't do it. Even using a dust pan was too close!
I spent the rest of the day questioning whether it was a bad idea to have left him for the day. I was imagining him coming back to life and him running around our apartment with the trap on.
And I was thinking about how he had been there the entire time. UGH!!!! NAST! I did lots of body twitches at work!
When I got home he was still dead...and it still freaked me out!
Matt came over to save the day! He laughed at me a lot...he just picked up the trap and rat with a bag. There's no way I could've have done that! I did some more squealing and of course...took some pictures!
So...WARNING...there are pictures of the dead rat...if you can't handle this...you may need to look away. (I can't believe I'm actually posting pictures of this guy.)
Matt thought that it could have been either a really big mouse...or a really small rat. We couldn't figure it out. It's tail is so long and nasty that it looks like a rat...you be the judge.
Here is a picture of the rat trap next to a pop can so that you can really see how big these guys are!That's peanut butter...not guts. FYI. (I first thought it was guts and almost threw up!)As you can see Matt is laughing at me!Notice the tail sticking out...I think I may vomit...
Matt is our hero! He should get some sort of award at the fire station for this heroic deed! seriously.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You KILLED REMY! OH MY GOSH . . . OH THE AGONY! The poor little guy . . . and he was such a GREAT cook. Oh my lord . . .

- John

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh, Emily...this whole story cracks me up! Seriously, I laughed out loud! Glad there is some closure for you finally!

kyle and jennifer said...

whoa baby! that was too funny! i am cracking up: the rat coming back to life and running around your apartment... body twitches at work... you are hilarious em! thank you for sharing your agony with all of us :) so glad you got rid of him!

Connie said...

Look how cotton pickin' big that tail is! That's a rat, my dear.

andy said...

em i'm with you that is naste and not funny- i would have slept somewhere else. naste naste naste..
lets get some tasty creams

Scott Sterner said...

I've got to agree with Connie. That tail looks a bit too long to be a mouse. For any of you nerds out there, here's how you tell the difference I guess.

- - -

Adult mice are much smaller than adult rats. Adult mice weigh about 30 grams, and fancy mice tip the scales at about 50 grams. Adult mice have bodies that are 3-4 inches long with 3-4 inch tails.

Adult rats are far heavier and longer: they can weigh ten times as much, averaging 350-450 grams for females and 450-650 for males (with an overall range of 200-800 grams). They have 9-11 inch long bodies and 7-9 inch tails.

Baby rats will have more juvenile proportions than adult rodents. Their heads and feet will be large relative to their bodies, their faces will be stubby and blunt with wide noses. Adult mice, on the other hand, will have adult proportions: a small, triangular head with a small nose and little delicate feet as compared to the body. In addition, mouse ears are very large relative to their heads, rat ears are smaller relative to their heads. Rats also have thicker tails than mice.