Thursday, April 24, 2008

It Keeps Getting Worse...but I'm Trying To Be Thankful

So Hilary got home yesterday...and she calls me at work saying that she hears something in the hallway closet of our apartment!
Right away I say..."CALL MATT!"
Matt came over to check it out...looks in the closet and there are rat turds everywhere.
He then starts checking things out and notices that when the construction guys had come in to put in washer and dryer connections as part of the remodeling that they are doing in the complex (they are turning the apartments into condos) They never closed up the wall. So you can basically see the entire inside of the wall. They never put up the wall!!! All the way up to the ceiling and there are big spaces open in the ceiling too.
Don't ask why we never noticed this before. All of our stuff was put back in the closet and I guess we just never paid attention to any of it...or it just never clicked with us.
When I had called our management property people they said that we are having a big rodent problem because of all of the construction going on and they are scattering everywhere!
So...they have free open access to our apartment. If they are running around in the walls....they can come right in! With all of the construction going on, most likely a lot of places they are working on do not have complete walls either...so that means...Ok...I need to stop talking about this! I did have a breakdown. I was so tired from going on 3 hours of sleep and this all just pushed me over! I cried. This is definitely not fun anymore...although Matt keeps laughing and scaring us by putting our little stuffed possum in a trap.
NAST!
We got the onsite construction manager to come check it out and she was completely grossed out by it and was sort of freaking out as well...and said that she will have someone come in today to fix it all and then get pest control out there too.
So we decided that neither of us could handle sleeping there...so we went and stayed with some friends last night.
This is all so gross and I can't really handle it.
BUT...I'm trying to be thankful. So today I have been thinking of all of the things that I am thankful for in this situation!


--That the first rat came in, which made us set up traps...if it had not so rudely intruded, we would have had no idea about the other guys that have been hanging around our apartment!

--For Matt and Erin. Matt, that he is brave and that he is putting up with our squeals and tears about this whole thing and getting rid of the traps for us.
For Erin that she is sharing her husband with two single gals who can't handle gross and scary things.

--That Hilary came back home.

--That Matt saw the unfinished wall and made that connection.

--For the Stewart's who took in Hilary last night and for Melody who let me sleep in her bed. (another silly night...why does that happen when I sleep with people!?)

--That the manager came and checked it out and hopefully got someone out there today to get things fixed, instead of waiting for a reply to the email and letter they made me send.

I'm sure there are more things that I will think of...but I'm tired.
I'll keep y'all updated.

2 comments:

Shadley said...

Em I am SO SORRY that the rats keep coming in! You know, they are my kin, maybe I can talk some sense into them.

Definitely you are never going to get any sleep sharing a bed with someone! I can attest to the fact that there are only giggles and the occasional snore!!! btw- dan told me i do snore!!

Anonymous said...

you guys should get some kinda discount on your rent or something for all of the fear and hassle you've been through. Or at least a fruit basket.