Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's Not Over...It's SO Not Over.

So I was awoke to a noise at 2:30am last night. I thought something had dropped in my shower so I got up to check it out. Nothing.
I laid back down and as I was drifting back to sleep I realized something. Something NOT fun at all.
It was totally the trap going off...that's what woke me up.
SO...I grabbed my baseball bat. Not really sure that I would actually do anything with it but it made me feel better, put some tennis shoes on and opened my door slowly.
It was completely dark except for the light coming from my room. I reached across the hall with my baseball bat to flip the hallway light on.
We had put a trap in the hallway in the corner underneath this built in desk thing. (right by my room)
I came out of my room and turned to look underneath the desk and the trap had been triggered but there was NOTHING!!!!!!
At this point I felt like I was going to throw up.
This is NOT good. So I looked down the hallway into the dining room/living room just to see darkness. So I stood there talking myself into making a mad dash into the dining room up onto the chair.
I finally did it...I ran really fast into the dining room and jumped onto the chair. I made my way from the chair onto the bar stool hoping to be able to reach with my bat the light switches that were in the kitchen.
I couldn't quite reach with the bat...I peeked over the counter into the kitchen and with the light that was coming from the hallway I could see that something was in the trap that we set (where we caught the one yesterday).
At this point I start crying. I couldn't believe this was happening again! I'm STILL by myself and didn't know what to do. I still had in my mind that there was one still running around that was too smart for the trap in the hallway.
I stood on the bar stool for awhile trying to get up en0ugh nerve to turn the lights on. I needed them on as I kept thinking about how creepy it was that they come out at night.
So I quickly turned the lights on and saw that there indeed was another rat/mouse in the trap. This one looked a little nastier.
I tried to keep looking at it to make sure it was dead.
So, I decided that I would count down the hours until it was a reasonable hour to call my good friend Matt over to get this guy out. I had 4 1/2 hours.
I quickly ran back to my room and that is where I stayed. The thought of going to sleep with a possible guy on the loose was not very pleasant, so I cleaned...sorted through stuff...did some stuff on the computer...prayed...took a shower...read...from 3-5. Then i finally decided that I need to get some sleep...so I tried to sleep from 5-7...with the lights on. Everytime I fell asleep I kept waking myself up again. NOT fun.
So 7:00 hits and I go and check on the trap. It has moved. No joke...the thing has moved with the rat/mouse in it. It was closer to the space between the wall and dishwasher (the spot where I think they are coming from). I had envisions of the guy on the loose running back through and grabbing his friend and trying to bring him back too...but the trap was too big to fit. So I called the Thomson's. Matt answers the phone "Thomson's Pest Control".
HA!
I told him that we had another one...and he starts laughing...I start crying!
He was like, "No, don't cry! I'll be over!"
So he came and rescued us once again!
Got rid of the dead guy and set up traps for the next guy (I HOPE there will not be a next guy). He also did some investigating and found a hole outside in our patio area that he filled up with rocks and dirt.
I did not take pictures...I no longer think this is fun enough to take pictures.
Nast.

5 comments:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

How many MORE have there been?! Is it better to be oblivious, or to be in full disclosure?! Let the tally begin!

Laura said...

Not good. Not good at all.

Connie said...

You know how I can hang onto hope against all hopes! This has got to be the end!

Jenna said...

What a terrible night! Sorry about your rodents....that is scary, and I would be thinking about it all night too. Kudos to firemen and guys who can take away gross animals (and spiders, for that matter)!!

Kristen E. said...

Oh Emily! I'm so sorry. I hope this is the end of the rat stories. I'll pray that it is.