Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oh Sweet Singleness

Monday night I had the privilege to lead worship for around 100 amazing, beautiful single women. Austin Stone had a "Singleness" talk with speaker Jennifer Lewis from Dallas. We just finished a series at church on "Marriage, Sex, Singleness and Divorce."
Seriously.
Go listen to it NOW. I'm not kidding.
Go.
NOW. It's SO good. Life changing good. GOOOO!
Anyway...I believe that Jennifer's talk was recorded, so at some point you may be able to listen to it. I'll let you know.
I always get a little freaked out when I have to lead worship on my own. Although last night I had the honor of singing alongside some amazing musicians. I actually had my own little "band". I didn't have to worry about playing my guitar I could just sing! It was freeing.
I truly believe that God was glorified in that place Monday night and that the spirit was moving powerfully in the hearts of those women, as we sang about Jesus being enough for us. That He is all we want and desire, more than anything.
Our culture looks down on singleness, we get looked at as if something is wrong with us or people feel bad for us if we are in our late 20's or 30's and we are not married. We get the "I'm sorry..." or "I'll be praying for you..." or whatever.
Singleness is a blessing! It truly is! I have the desire to be married and to have a family...that's not bad. But God is allowing me to desire Him more and more and it is ENOUGH!
I could go today or tomorrow and what would I have added to my life if all I did was think about how badly I want to get married. Marriage is temporary. There is no marriage in heaven.
Oh, that my mind would be consumed with Jesus and His goodness that WILL last FOREVER.
"O taste and see that the Lord is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! O fear the Lord, you His saints; for to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing."-Psalm 34:8-10

2 comments:

Tina Marie said...

That's how Paul put it in I Corinthians. I actually just read that last night.

Good Stuff!

jamie said...

good stuff em- good stuff to believe and rest in. good stuff to remember even when you are married and have kids! :)
love you sweet friend-