Saturday, October 13, 2007

I Love My Truck.

I have been babysitting for my boss quite a bit, and tonight I babysat for them at the downtown Hilton. They have a ball to go to this weekend that their little girl is a part of and they decided to just get rooms for the weekend. They had a dress rehearsal tonight and then the bigger kids (college students) that were involved, had a dinner that Jon and Tina went to. So I stayed back at the hotel with their kids.
It was fun!
First of all Jon told me to just valet park when I got there...
Ok...
#1...I have NEVER valet parked a car before. I have NO clue what to do in that situation, where to go, who to go to, how much to tip...
#2...I'm driving a 97 dodge pickup truck, that really needs to be washed and is a little on the beat up side...with a camper topper on the back.
#3...We're talking The Hilton.

Before I left work, my co-worker, Leona, was giving me a pep talk and was telling me what I needed to do. (she's a pro at valet parking I think!)

So I arrive at the Hilton and I end up having to go around the block a couple of times...
#1...to try and figure out where the drive way was where you unload...valet park...check in...
#2...there were a ton of people lined up waiting to get their cars valet parked and there wasn't room, so I had to keep going around.
#3...I'm still debating...do I really put myself through this...with the possible embarrassment of being in a beat up truck in the midst of lexus', suburbans and BMW's. Yes of course I put myself through this...this is going to make a great blog story!

So I finally get a turn to wait in line. I've committed to it...I got in line...there's no turning back. I'm trying to notice the people in front of me, to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.
So...it looks like they pull up, turn their blinkers on, wait for the guy to come open your door, leave the keys...they give you a piece of paper, no one is giving a tip...maybe that's for the end when they bring your car back...hmmm.
At this point, I'm getting hot, and I start sweating.
So then it's my turn...I pull up...I turn the car off, put the blinkers on...the guys not coming...do I wait?!
I open my door and the guy comes over and asks if I'm a hotel guest that is staying overnight. I explain my situation to him and he says, "I'm sorry ma'am we can only park hotel guests that are staying overnight because our lot is full, and we just don't have room."
DENIED!!!!

I was thinking either...
#1...this guy sees the truck and thinks...yeah right.
#2...the lot was really full and they couldn't park me...
#3...he saw the porsche behind me and thought that he would probably be getting a better tip from that guy!

He directed me to a public parking parking ramp on the corner of the next block down!
nice.

It was a fun evening...the kids were excited to be in a hotel and to order room service. yes...they had been looking forward to ordering room service...
Which brings me to my next new encounter.
#1...I have NEVER ordered room service.
#2...I have NO clue how to order, what to order, what to tip, what to do.

It actually ended up being ok! Although I couldn't believe that our total bill was $45 and it included a sandwich for me and chicken tenders for two kids.
I should have just called "The Pizza Man" and yelled "pizzaaaaaaah pizza pizza pizzaaaaah!!!!" and then hung up.---Ya Ya girls...that was for you!!

It was a fun evening and I always love watching their kids. They call me Miss Emily and they are so sweet!!
Here are a couple of pictures I took, one of the hotel and a couple of the view from the hotel room...

7 comments:

Joanna Kay said...

ha-larious. i almost lost it when you confessed your truck had a camper top... um, why? ha ha ha!! why can't i ever be a fly on the wall in your beat up truck?

emily said...

It's maybe not what you are thinking a camper topper is...someone called it that to me once and it stuck!!! I just think it's funny! it's just a regular looking topper!

Laura said...

PIZZA PIZZA!!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when the pizza is too hot, a cowboy will cool it off like they did in the Wild West, blow on it. There is nothing worse then a cranky cowboy with a burned tongue.

Connie said...

You should do a "life styles of the rich and famous show" with video. A new reality show? or something. Great experiences to store in your life file. Now to find a guitar player guy for you to play with! Oh, that was in your other blog. never mind.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!! I can not believe you got denied. Did you smile nice and wink and stuff? Maybe it was the sweating....

p.s. who is Tex? he keeps leaving comments that have nothing to do with anything. Joe?!?!

emily said...

yessss...totally denied...guess I should have dried myself off from all the sweat...messed up my hair a bit more and gave him the "how can you resist me look."
And yes...Tex=Joe. I am going to blog about this very soon...and list all of the random comments he has made...maybe that will make him stop!!