Sunday, April 29, 2007

Who's Your Craw-Daddy?

So...here it is...the Crawfish Boil Post.
Saturday Austin Stone had their "Family Reunion" Annual Crawfish Boil and Baptism.
The day was beautiful and sunny (I got fried!) Temp was about 85 I think.
George and Denise's son Conner was baptized!
(the family we stayed with when we first moved to Austin)There were about 50 or so people who were baptized! It was such a beautiful picture to see the people coming down to the lake lined up ready to publicly declare that they love Jesus!
Here is a video of Conner getting baptized! George and Denise baptized him! It was really cool!

My job was to watch Holland and sort of keep an eye on Soren...although he took off and was playing with friends and finding dead crawfish. Here is a
sweet picture of Miss Holland...
After the baptism came the crawfish...They ordered 800 lbs of crawfish! yuck!
They also had Gumbo, corn and potatoes. We were thankful for the corn...although it was spiced up. Everything has to be spicy here.
The crawfish really grossed me out. Even though they are dead, they still look alive.
Here is a demonstration from my friend Jeff, on how to eat a crawfish...

It was Hilary and I's first experience with crawfish.
Here is Hilary...

Here is Me...

They had a "Louisiana Style" band play, it was fun! Here is a video...little did I know that Conner and Soren would come along dancing with their "Special Friends"
Here is the video...

This is little Micah and he had a "cowboy" outfit on! I had to get a picture...
Here are some friends!


The overall experience was GREAT!!! It was a fun day. I'm still not sure what I think about the crawfish. I heard lots of gross stories beforehand that tainted my experience a little. Mostly having to do with crawfish eating poop.

6 comments:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

Those crawdaddys give me the heebie jeebies.

Anonymous said...

OK--when Jeff "choked" on the hot head juice of that crawdaddy, I totally gaged! You are brave. Way to go on eating that little beastie.

Sarah said...

Hmm... I love crawdaddies. So yummy! And yes, all Texans must have their food spicy. I think it has something to do with the heat. We just tend to like our food super spicy and super yummy (aka, fatty). :)

Anonymous said...

when Jeff "sucked" I began coughing til I gagged. (and that's just watching a video). Then when you went, I was sitting here with my hand over my mouth and all tensed up ridiculous!!! but you did me proud!

Anonymous said...

hey, em, you know we used to have those as pets in 3rd grade and their tub got really dirty after a while!

Kelli B said...

that's hilarious! i've never even seen crawfish...what a fun tradition! and kinda nasty - i dont know if i could eat them!!!

em - you are so pretty friend! i love to see your beautiful face. OOOH and hearing your voice on the phone the other night, in the message, was so fuN! i was tearing up b/c i couldnt even believe it was your VOICE! i'm so used to the "electronic" emily! it was so great - cant wait till we can skype or call each other weekly!!!

hope your iowa time is fab. "miss" you! talk to you next week friend.