Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Baby's Got Sauce

Last night Hilary and I went to a G Love and Special Sauce concert w/ Tristan Prettyman. It was A-mazing!!!
It was at Stubb's BBQ which is a BBQ place with live music. We were outside and the night was beautiful...in the high 60's! Perfect for an evening concert!
Before the concert I warned Hilary that there may be some questionable stuff and some questionable smells going on...(remembering back when I went to the Patty Griffin concert). I guess the security is not all that great!
Speaking of security...Hilary and I were waiting in line to get in and the security guards were coming by looking in everyone's bags and purses...making sure no one was bringing in drugs, alcohol, weapons, cameras...etc.
So the security guy comes up to me and I open up my "bagolita" And the security guard says...
"Ooo, I like your purse...it's cute!"
I smile and say "Thanks", then he says....
"Is it reversible?!"
I shake my head and say, "No, but that would be pretty cool if it was!".
Then he kept going. Hilary and I looked at each other and busted out laughing! The couple in front of us turned around and the girl says, "Did he just say your purse was cute!?"
"yes." The security guard thought my purse was cute!

So we get in. I looked at Hilary and say...
"Hilary if we're going to do this...we gotta go for it."
Second row baby! SECOND ROW!!! We ended up standing in the second row!
I knew this was going to be good. Loud and good. I wasn't too sure about Hilary...she didn't even really know Tristan or G Love! (This was also a Valentine's present from me to Hilary...she did choose to do this...it wasn't just me making her go with me!) But she did know the song "Cold Beverage". I was hoping they would play that song and they did!

So the concert starts, it's a sold out show and it is packed.
A couple is standing next to me, an older couple probably in their late 50's. The guy has a tie-dyed shirt, long thin hair that's pulled back into a ponytail. Straight out of the 60's or 70's. The music starts and so does he. He is the most expressive dancer I have ever seen! I look over to Hilary to see if she sees what's going on...she is laughing...hard!

Then a little while later, I can't remember if it was still during Tristan, or if G Love has started, we smelled the smell. The smell I was hoping I wouldn't smell. I turned to Hilary to see if she was smellin' what I was smellin'. Sure enough we gave each other the look of agreement. It was pot. THEN...I turned and saw the old couple next to me totally smokin' doobies, and passing it around. I was glad that he never offered me any...but then again...it would have made for a crazier story if he would have passed it over to me. ugh. NAST.
It was completely awkward...and I was wondering why the security guard that was just past the fence, did not see this going down.

Pretty soon the crowd starts getting "wild". Every once in a while there was a wave of people pushing to the front. There's a dude behind me that thinks he's going to get in front of me.
BUT...I take the stance. I spread my legs, put up my arms. There was no way anyone was getting past me. The hippie guy next to me was totally on my side, so we made sure there was no way anyone was getting through. I was already planning out what I was going to say if this dude behind me tried to get through.
"um...yeah...that's not gonna work. you're gonna have to just go back to where you came from because I'm standing here."
There were a couple of girls in the front row who saw what was happening and one of them told me to put my hand on the fence so that I had some support as they were all pushing. The other girl was wondering who and what she was talking about and she turned to me and said, "Her!" and pointed and touched my cheek with her finger and just held it there for a couple of seconds. Weird. It was a little awkward...I turned to Hilary and was like, "What in the world?!" We laughed hard! random! She was one of the girls smokin' doobies!

A chick fight almost happened when one girl was trying to get back to her spot in the front row, some other girls didn't like that and started talking smack. It could have been bad, but it wasn't. It was just intense for a little bit.

So G Love basically rocked the place. It was SO good. He sort of has a mix of looks between Elvis (he likes to move his hips a lot and all the girls go crazy. ok...so I screamed a couple of times. I couldn't help it!) and Johnny Cash (he wore all black and will sometimes play his guitar the same way.) There was one point where he came over and was giving people high fives in the audience...and I leaped...I really did...I leaped to try and give him the high five...but missed. Then...a little while later he jumped down onto the fence and everyone swarmed over to him...I thought...
"Here is my chance...I gotta go for it"
So I jumped in and reached through the swarm of people and touched something...not really sure what, but I'm pretty sure it was his leg! I'm hoping it was just his leg!
I totally felt like I was back in Jr. High. But it was fun!
Then towards the end of the night he went for the high fives again...I totally got him...and so did Hilary! We looked at each other gave each other a high five and screamed! Hilary made some comment about how she was never going to wash her hand ever again!
We laughed when we thought about how she didn't really know these guys in the first place and only knew the "Cold Beverage" song.
And we laughed when we thought about how ridiculous we were acting!

I can't remember what song it was, it might have been "Cold Beverage", but there was this girl behind Hilary who all of a sudden started going crazy! She just started jumping and dancing, but was RIGHT behind Hilary. At that point some people started to leave because it was the end and so it wasn't like we were short on space or anything, there was plenty of room for her to not be on top of Hilary!
I look over and see little Hilary standing there with this girl spazing out, basically on top of her! It was hilarious!!!

It was a great night. Very memorable! We left not being able to hear...smelling like pot...laughing at the randomness...and giddy from our 2nd row experience with "The Love".

Here are some pictures I took with my phone...
Tristan Prettyman. I love her.
Her drummer, who basically has amazing hair!
He sort of reminded me of Will Ferrell for some reason!

G Love, he's such a cutie!
I think he's looking at me and I think we have similar hair.
He is amazing on the harmonica!This was a random Austin dude that got to play the fiddle with them for one song.
Tristan and G.
Singing "Beautiful"
One of my favorite parts of the evening was when G Love beat boxed into "Rodeo Clowns".
It was pretty sweet. I loved it.
So to end our evening of randomness...I had to stop and get milk. :) So we stopped at our 24 hour Quix that is just down the street from our apartment. It's 12:30am...and we're stopping to buy milk! Everyone else at that hour is stopping to buy beer...but no...I'm getting my choice of beverage...Milk! Anyway, that evening I was wearing a very cute purple jacket with a purple necklace and a purple flower in my hair and I was wearing purpley eye shadow. So...I get to the counter to buy my milk and the Quix guy ringing me up says,
"ooo...I like your purple flower!"
I say, "Oh, thanks!"
Quix guy: "Purple is a really good color for you!"
Me started to feel a little awkward..."Thanks...!" not really sure what else to say...
Quix guy: "You've got the purple jacket, purple necklace, purple flower....purple eyeshadow!"
Me feeling even more awkward..."Yeah, purple is my favorite color."
Quix guy: "Yeah, I can tell! You look really good in purple, purple is a good color for you."
Me thinking, ok...this conversation needs to end! "Oh, that's nice of you, thanks!"
I smile, grab my milk and head out of there!
So we had to take a picture of the flower! Hilary nicely points it out...
Then we had to take a cute roommate picture...of course!
It was a fun night. Tristan was beautiful, G Love rocked, we got our fill of questionable stuff and questionable smells and we have some fun memories!
In the words of G Love: Peace, y'all...dig

7 comments:

Connie said...

I have a whole list of comments to make, but gotta leave for work - I'll be back though!!!!

Vitamin Z said...

Your blog posts are the longest I have ever seen.

I hope it was just a leg too,

z

emily said...

z-I know! I don't know how it happens! I don't realize it until the end.
And...I'm pretty sure it was his leg!

Connie said...

OK, I'm back!
1."Your purse is cute" because he's never been to Ia.City where you can see them at every turn you make!
2. I think you guys breathed a lot of 2nd hand smoke! Which would explain why everything was so funny.
3.I'm glad I taught you to stand up for yourself. It's comforting to know you could have wrestled the guy for that spot if need be.
4."Cold Beverage" = milk
5. Did Tristan's drummer have a cowbell? Will F. would have one!
6. Why do Austen men have so much to say about fashion???
7. Great phots of you two cuties.
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert.

William Flinn said...

"The Love"....awesome....I still stand-by the Facebook comment!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

how did you get such awesome pictures from your camera phone?!

Mrs. Clark said...

Dude, that's sweet. I totally saw G-Love at a concert in IC years ago at the Union. Good times! - also, the doobie thing happened to me at a Ben Harper/Jack Johnson concert, but the dude next to me totally got busted. Funny stuff- makes for good stories!