Thursday, February 21, 2008

DROP AND GIVE ME 50!


Last week I started going to an intense boot camp exercise class with my friend and co-worker, Nicole. It's called Austin Adventure Boot Camp. You may be wondering..."Why in the world would you do a thing like that?". I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question!
I just finished the 2nd week and have one more week to go! It's 4 days a week and it's from 5:30am-6:30am. You are probably wondering, "Why in the world would you do a thing like that?". I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question as well!

The classes include different types of lunges, squats, crunches, arm exercises, ab stuff, lots of running, jumping jacks, pushups, situps, plyometrics, weight training.

Day One of the first week: I kept waking up throughout the night, afraid of sleeping through my alarm. I was actually able to get up right away at 5:00am.
During the warm up I thought, "I'm going to die...and this is only the warm up!"
A couple of times throughout the hour I thought was going to throw up everywhere!
I then started questioning whether I had some sort of mental problem that I would actually sign up to do something like this!
When I got home Hilary greeted me with her morning smile and cheerfulness! (she is a morning person. I am not.) She was like, "It's so fun having you up this early! I'm so proud of you!" I am thankful to have a roomie that encourages me!
The rest of the day I felt miserable with a headache and nausea...I then realized that I was dehydrated from not drinking enough water.
I had to babysit that night for my boss...
I felt miserable and felt like I was going to throw up a couple times throughout the night and thought, "Great. I'm going to throw up in my boss' house, nice."
Started questioning whether I would actually be able to make it for Day 2! DAY 2!!!

Day 2: After having a hard time going to sleep with my headache, I finally fell asleep and slept HARD, and actually got right up at 5:00 and felt GREAT!
Made it throughout the workout without feeling like I was going to ralph! Actually enjoyed myself and was glad that I signed up to do this.
The rest of the day was in PAIN! I had a hard time walking, sitting down, standing up, bending over, going to the bathroom, getting dressed, going up stairs, going down stairs, getting in my truck, getting out of my truck. It was ridiculous! I laughed out loud when I went down the steps at work because it hurt so bad! I contemplated using the elevator next time.
I wasn't really sure how I was going to do anything the next morning at class.

Day 3: I woke up again right away at 5:00, and wasn't in as much pain as I thought I would be.
I got to class and we had do our pre-evaluations. Which included the timed mile run.
OK so #1 We're talking 4 laps around the track.
#2 I'm not a runner.
#3 I'm out of shape.
#4 It brought me straight back to elementary school when we had to do the timed mile run in PE class, and I hated it. I was ALWAYS the last person, and it was really embarrassing!
I started to get really nervous!
I made it through. I wasn't the last person...but I did have to walk a couple of times. But I was just happy that I made it!
I kept thinking of all my friends who were running the half marathon that weekend and were going to be running for 13.1 miles. ugh. I can't even run for a mile. They are my heroes!
I was still in PAIN in my legs and booty and actually took the elevator at work! no joke.

Day 4 Hit snooze a couple of times. LAST DAY of the week.
Felt good, soreness was starting to go and was actually contemplating signing up for another class after the three weeks were done.
It was an intense workout
At the end of the class I thought that it couldn't really get more intense than that....

Day 1 of week 2: I was wrong. We had to do an "Indian Run" where you run in a group of 5 or 6 people and you run in a line and the last person in the line has to sprint to the front of the line. Then as soon as that person reaches the top the next person in the back has to sprint up to the front and so forth.
Ok #1....again, I'm not a runner.
#2...I'm running with intense people (even if they did have around the same timed mile as me)
#3...I like to stop and walk when I feel like I'm going to die.
#4...These people don't stop.
We had to go for a mile folks. That's 4 laps around the track.
Those of you who are runners you can go ahead and laugh. I'm ok with that.
AND...it was really cold (we meet and work out in the courtyard of a middle school and then run on the track at the football field.) In the 40's. (Sorry IA people...you can be mad it me for thinking that is cold.)

Day 2: We did a lot of work on the football field, going from one end to the other doing stuff like high knees, grapevine, big skips etc. We did one exercise where you put your legs out straight in front of you and you run down the field like that. It sort of reminded me of a drum major or something. But it also reminded me of the goofy stuff I do when I'm with my mom and sisters in the kitchen. (you guys know what I'm talking about! The stuff I usually do while you guys are cooking or doing dishes!! haha!) I had to laugh...then Nicole in the middle of it said, "Em, you're good at that!" I about died! It was hilarious!

Day 3: We did stations of different exercises including jumping jacks, squats, jumping rope, pushups, step ups, dips, bicep curls, front raises, side raises. It was intense.

Day 4: End of the second week! It was HOT! and HUMID! Everything was moist on top of being extremely sweaty. I don't think I've ever sweated so much. We did the "Indian Run" again. (I'm not a fan of that exercise) and then we had to run on the track for 45 seconds and then do whatever she called out...different types of lunges and squats and then run again for 45 seconds. We did that for a long time. Then we did an intense butt workout. It was painful.

BUT....I made it through the second week and I'm still enjoying it! I'm thinking about doing the next session of classes. There is something about it that is addicting. It feels good to be able to actually do this and to know that it is strengthening my body and giving me endurance and ultimately making me more healthy! I still need to work on my eating. I like food.

I'll keep y'all updated on how the last week goes! Hopefully I will see some good results!

7 comments:

Connie said...

As I read thru your blog, every part of my body ached for you! And of course, I laughed, too. But you go, girl! I love you!

Laura said...

Was wheezing, when I read your part about the kicks. From across the room Joe said, "Oh, my." So you know the wheeze was bad. I'm just really hoping you did the jazz hands with it along with that annoying look on your face. I think these people really, really need to see that side of you. Maybe next time you should sneak your camera in and take a video.

Kelli B said...

Em that is amazing! I'm so happy you are doing this! We have been doing Farrell's Extreme Body Shaping for the past 7 weeks - we have 3 more weeks to go- and it's very, very similar. It's intense!!!

So I'm really glad we are doing this together! Keep it up Em - it's worth it to push through the bad days...I've had plenty myself. It's really something to work out w/ someone too - for accountability. Glad you are doing this!!!

Anonymous said...

You are soooo crazy!! I love how you are so game for stuff. I have been hearing about 'boot camps' in the media--lastest and greatest thing they say--leave it to Em to sign herself up!! That rocks!

Kick butt, girl. Carrie :)

Meghan said...

Emily- I am SO proud of you! Keep it up

Joanna Kay said...

i laughed so hard. so funny that you posted about this. i love it. thanks em. i hope you do sign up for the next session~ it sounds like fun in a good for you kind of way. :D

Andrea said...

WOW, Emily! I am super impressed and proud of you! You've definitely inspired me!