Sunday, February 18, 2007

Half-Marathon

We have a special friend visiting us from Iowa, Dianna Geiger. She came to run the half marathon with Hilary. It has been great having her here. She amazes me. She is 61 and she just ran a half marathon today. Amazing. It was a beautiful day, the high was 67 degrees and sunny.
Here are some pictures...
It was fun to cheer them on. They did such a good job. I'm so proud of them! They finished in 2 hours and 35 minutes. Here is a picture of them with their medals!
I tried to go to several different spots to cheer them on and only saw them at one point. When I got to the finish line I had already missed them go through, but as I was watching people go through I sort of got teary-eyed. There is something about seeing people cross the finish line, persevering to the end, enduring the pain but finishing strong, that touched me. It also may have been that they were playing "Time after Time" on the overhead speakers! I seriously had tears in my eyes!
So since the race is over Dianna and Hilary decided that they could splurge on eating, so we went to Rudy's Barbecue and Amy's Ice Cream. It was great!
Our upstairs neighbors Matt and Erin ran the marathon today and they did really well. We also have a new friend Desiree that finished 2nd in the marathon! She is qualified for the Olympic training. It was exciting to hear that news!
All of this marathon talk is sort of making me want to run in a race. I'll let you know if that ever happens. I think I said that after the last race I was involved in. Maybe someday.

No comments: